Forum Discussion

TrishaDixon
Qrew Member
12 months ago

Copying certain info from one column to another for un-editable review purposes only

Hi! 

Is there a way to copy certain info from one column to another? It would be tied to a date. For example, we have an Updates column that can get really long over time and we would like a way to where the latest update is copied into a new column to create a report for review purposes, so we don't have a report 50 pages long and we also want to avoid data entry twice. We want the new column to be un-editable so people can't add updates to the wrong column. It seems like it would be a simple formula to bring over the latest dated update to a new column but it's been hard to figure out. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

------------------------------
Trisha Dixon

2 Replies

• here are my cheat notes

Parsing Append Only Fields

so... if you have a text field set to Log Changes where the new entries act in the default manner which is to be at the bottom of the updates, here are some formuals to use to parse out the values from the most recent entry.  I am also assuming that you are logging the date and not the date and time.

Most recent value (formula text field type)

Trim(Right([my update field],"]"))

Date of most recent update (this needs to be a formula date field)

ToDate(Left(Right([my update field],"["),9))

Who did the most recent update (formula text field type)

Trim(NotLeft(Left(Right([my update field],"["),"]"),9))

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • There are several strategies you could use:

• Using the "Log the edits to this field" feature in the Field Props and then, parsing the logged results (as Mark mentioned).
    • Using Form Rules to listen for changes to a given field and setting a Date value elsewhere
    • Using a Formula Field as a "proxy." Then, making the original field not reportable nor searchable. Instead, the proxy would be reportable and searchable. And by its nature, not "grid editable" (since its a Formula Field).
    • Each QB table has a default "Date Modified" field (FID 2). You could uncheck the "Show the time" box on field Props and report on this value. But, I typically suggest leaving default behavior alone. So instead, I'll cast that value to dedicated presentation field via a Formula Field.

An example of the latter is creating a Formula Field not expected conversion "Type." So, we'd create a "Date" Field (not Date / Time) and name to "Date Modified To Date." Then, you'd cast the value via something like:

ToDate([Date Modified])

Often these "vanity" fields can get around limitations of only being able to display native field once on a given Form, simplify Pipelines and reduce visual noise on Reports by trimming the time portion off a Date / Time.

Brian Seymour