Forum Discussion

PaulEaston
Qrew Assistant Captain
10 months ago

Copying rich-text field data to plain-text field without the HTML code

We have a table that includes the fields "Name (ASCII/Latin)" and "Name (Arabic)".

The "Name (Arabic)" field was created as a rich-text field. Which, IIRC, was because, when the app was created, QuickBase didn't support UNICODE in plain-text fields. 

Having this field as a rich-text field prevents using it when creating a filter on the new dashboard pages. 

To test, I created a formula text field with the formula:

ToText([Name(Arabic)])

and then created a report with both fields to compare. 

The Arabic text now displays in the plain-text field, but ,any of the transformed-to-text names in the plain-text version have HTML tags. 

This prevents me from even thinking about simply changing the field type of the existing rich-text field to plain text. 

Does anyone have any handy formulas that will strip out all HTML when copying from a rich-text to plain text field?

The HTML is also there when I export to CSV.   I can clean up the export outside of QB, but am wondering if I can do this via QB formulas.

------------------------------
Paul Easton

4 Replies

• What HTML elements are appearing? If they're consistent, you can probably nip them using SearchAndReplace. Otherwise I'd need to see some examples to understand the issue entirely.

gary
        PaulEaston
        Qrew Assistant Captain

Thank you, I really need to take some time and get familiar with using Jinja in pipelines. For now, I think it will be quicker for me to export the text and edit outside of QuickBase. Then import the clean text. This is a one-time operation. 

Paul Easton
      PaulEaston
      Qrew Assistant Captain

If no easy way to do with QB formulas, I'll just download to CSV and run search and replace using RegEx to remove < and > and anything in between those two characters. 

Paul Easton