Forum Discussion

UmaHarithsa
Qrew Cadet
6 years ago

Count Table of Display sizes by Location

I have 2 tables: Parent Table - Building related to child - Location related to child - Workstation

Workstation Table has a field Display Monitor Size with values 22", 24", and so on. Currently this table has more than 35,000 records

I would like to create a table with data as below. I am struggling with how to create it. Any ideas? Please help! Thank You.

7 Replies

• Do you mean that rather just have a summary report, you want an actual table with all the unique rows as records in the table. 
      UmaHarithsa
      Qrew Cadet
      Yes. The reason is that further action needs to be done on this count that will lead to deployment.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      So there are two steps.  making the table and maintaining the table.

The making the table is easy but there is a trick.  You need to create a key field for the table in the format.

Building Name-Department Name-Display Size.

So  you create the table and make a field with that long name as the Key field and populate it by Creating a field in the details table with the formula

List("-", [Building Name], [Department], [Display Size])

and then making a summary report like you already did, except do it on that formula field.  The use the more .. button to copy to another table.

The create a field called [Building Name-Department Name-Display Size exists?] as a formula checkbox field with a formula of true.

Then build a relationship back to the details table and look up that field.
      [Building Name-Department Name-Display Size exists?]

Lastly fire an Automation that says when a detail record is created and 
      [Building Name-Department Name-Display Size exists?] = not checked, then add a record to the Summary table and populate that Key field with the value in the formula field.

You will then be able to get your total counts from a summary field on the  Relationship and they will be self maintaining.
      UmaHarithsa
      Qrew Cadet
      Was able to follow along until copying summary report data to another Table. I am confused with steps after that. Which table should the [exists?] field be created in - details table or new table? How do I check if that data exists in the new table?
  • Np. Post back if you get stuck. The steps are not hard but there are a few of them to do.