Forum Discussion

GunshamLakhiani
Qrew Cadet
3 years ago

Counting of Rows on Same Values

Hi,

I have 2 tables Employee and Task. Each Employee has many Tasks and those Tasks are defined weekly.

In the Task Table I am trying to capture the count of the tasks by Employee Name+Week Number+Colour. So if an Employee has multiple tasks which results in the example like below.

Row 1 Gunsham Lakhiani-14-Green
Row 2 Gunsham Lakhiani-14-Green

This should be counted as 2 which is what i am trying to achieve by adding a column of Total Count which results in to 2 in each row.

I would like to have the count 2 only in one row and not in the second row after which I want to just dump Employee Name,Color,Week Number and Total Count into some other table where the Total Count is not blank for certain calculations.

Pl check the excel attachment or the Image below for your reference with the QB Ouput and the Desired Output.

Regards
Gunsham

------------------------------
Gunsham Lakhiani

9 Replies

• I suggest that you use a Summary report.  If you cannot get enough "group bys" (I think that the limit is 6) for the columns that you need, you can combined fields in a formula.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      GunshamLakhiani
      Qrew Cadet
      Hi Mark,

My problem is not a Summary Report or enough Group Bys. What i want to do is I would like to have a Count only on the one row for which the combination is the same and then i would like to insert those rows in another table.

For example if you have a look at the screen shot on the Top Grid QB Output you would see that Gunsham Lakhiani-14-Green shows Total Count 2 in both the rows but I want the Total Count 2 in any one row and then would like to add that in another table as below

Name                          Week              Color           Count
      Gunsham Lakhiani      14                  Green              2

I hope i am able to explain what i am trying to achieve.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards
      Gunsham

Gunsham Lakhiani
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        Let us not give up on the summary report approach quite yet. My point of making a summary report is once you have that you can use the MORE button to copy these records to another table.  Can you tell me if there is a reason that approach will not work for you?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com