Forum Discussion

MarkJohnson2
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Creating a Custom Name for a URL Link

Hi All,
I've imported an excel spreadsheet in QB containing URL's with short descriptive names. I had to create a separate URL field in QB to import the URL full path. In excel, you can create a name for the hyperlink but in QB the only name you can create in each record is the actual file name. How can you create a more short descriptive name in record for the URL link? Thanks

------------------------------
Mark Johnson

5 Replies

• You can use a formula rich text field with the following syntax (Thanks to Mark of Your QuickBase Coach for originally posting this on threads)

var text Words = [Field With Short Descriptive Name];

var text URL = [Field With URL Link];

"<a href=" & $URL & ">" & $Words & "</a>"

Mike Tamoush
      MarkJohnson2
      Qrew Member
      Thank you Mike. These are the fields now, [Name]=descriptive name and [URL link]=full path. Are you saying I would have to create an additional rich text formula field?

Mark Johnson
        MichaelTamoush
        Qrew Captain
        Yes, and the rich text formula is the one you would display in reports or on forms. The URL Link would likely never be shown, unless you wanted to. The name field only needs to appear if you want it to be editable. If it is always just imported from a spreadsheet, not necessary to show that field anywhere either.

*Note: You MUST have https:// in your URL link (if it's external) or QB will try to navigate to it's own domain.
        **Also, the default setting in QB is for realms NOT to be able to navigate to external websites, so you may need to contact customer support to be sure that option is turned on for you.

var text Words = [Name];

var text URL = [URL Link];

"<a href=" & $URL & ">" & $Words & "</a>"

Mike Tamoush