Forum Discussion

LisaSchibley
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Creating a large online form from a survey that used to be in an excel spreadsheet

I am creating a threat classification online form for partners to fill out about their site. This form used to be in excel, but we want it online, so we turned to quickbase. These are two of my threats and the way we want to collect data about them.  

I'm happy with how this user interface looks and I know it will capture the data I want, but I have 193 of these threats to create (grouped into 12 categories). I am looking for some help with the best way to organize my data (i.e., what would be the best way to break up the data since I am collecting 193 x 4 bits) and ways to create the form using some automation rather than manually.  For example, is there a way to import my fields with the "text multiple-choice" type? Or is there a way to automatically switch a large number of fields to that?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Lisa

5 Replies

• For each Threat entry, I would create a child-table record attached to this parent-entry so that you have a more-reportable set of data which you can filter, group, organize and build summary data from.  My fields would be [Threat #], [Threat], [Timing], [Scope], [Severity], [Impact], [Comments].  Then you can do reporting on individual Threat responses across all your entries.

You could build automations to create each child; or build a formula-text field to compile a dataset that can be used by a single webhook (my preference) that would fire on-save.
      LauraThacker
      Qrew Captain
      I saw you had a follow-up that you might have deleted.  Personally I would prefer to build one or two formulas than build 193 automations.  It is also much easier to maintain if you end up adding more questions.

I can help you with this, if you would like; but you would need to call me at (626) 771 0454.
  • Also, to create the fields; you could create them via an import to an empty record; but you would still have to copy/paste the options into every field once it was built.  The downside to the import is that your fields will not auto-populate into a Form Layout.  However; if you were to build the first four.  Then cycle through each one using the "Copy Field" feature - you could feasibly build your form this way and then rename each row of fields with the correct Threat #/Name etc.
  • Hmm, I didn't follow your last sentence.  Using the "copy field" feature on the Form Layout?  Does it copy four?  Thanks!
      LauraThacker
      Qrew Captain
      No, you would cycle through each of the four fields one at a time; in the same order you need them to layout on the Form.  This way, you then only need to change the names of the fields; and use the checkboxes to place them alongside the Threat question.  You would use the copy-field icon in the Field List once you had created your first 4 fields.  Cycle through them in order; and make sure your Form Layout is set to "automatically add new fields".  Then each new "set" will be prefixed with "Copy of " and have a number at the end.  You need to clean those up - but it will lay them out on the Form the way you want them.  You could also use the Visual Builder once they are built to rename them more quickly probably.