Forum Discussion

DeepaPrashant
Qrew Member
4 months ago

Custom data rules for a table when a filed changes value

In my Asset form, I have two fields Asset Class and Eval Group 1 that are related. Both are drop down fields in the Asset form. Each Asset Class selected will drive a dropdown of a subset of values in the related field Eval Group1. That is the top line below if chosen as the Asset Class will have the rows under that show up i the drop down for Eval Group1.

Computer_Equipment - Asset Class Office_Equipment - Asset Class
MCE - Misc. Computer Equipment OFFC - Office Equipments
SERV - Servers COPY - Copiers
PC - PC, Laptop, and workstations PHON - Phone Equipments
PRNT - Printers

So, i have all of this set up and working fine. During testing, my analyst noticed that if she selected Computer Equipment and then correctly selected say "PC" for Eval group, she could then go back and change the Asset Class to something else and the form would allow that.

How do I create a Custom Data rule at the table level to stop this from happening? I thought if I could say, if value of "Asset Class" changes, change "Eval Group 1" to <blank> forcing the analyst to re-choose Eval Group 1.

How would we write a formula like that in Custom Data rules at the table level?

Thanks

Deepa

------------------------------
Deepa Prashant

2 Replies

• I assume Asset Class and Eval Group are separate tables and that you have Asset Class pulled into the Eval Group Table.

If that's the case you need to pull the Related Eval Group - Asset Class into your target table.  Then you can either do a formula field with form rules or table level custom data rules (use this if you have api's or pipelines that need to follow the same rules).

The data rule formula would be If([Related Asset Class]=[Eval Group - Related Asset Class], "error message")

Sean Boat-Moore
    Manager SMB Development
    Project Management Office and Quality Control
    NCR Corporation
    sean.boat-moore@ncr.com | ncr.com
      DeepaPrashant
      Qrew Member

Thank you Sean. Worked perfectly!

Deepa Prashant