Forum Discussion

BobThomas1
Qrew Cadet
6 months ago

Data Table is a Text Field; Need it to be a conditional dropdown field

Data Table is a Text Field; Need it to be a conditional dropdown field 

Presently a user is allowed to add a table name to an application, even if it doesn't exist as an actual table. 

This seems confusing to me. I thought that wouldn't it be better to actually have an actual table name that shows when the Application of concern is selected. (Actually whatever App a user is in when they want to add a table it should fill in the App. 

But the tables of the App that shows doesn't list the actual tables of the App exist.

Is there a way to have a conditional dropdown populate with just the tables of that app?

A word of CAUTION, I wish to create a separate data field that doesn't destroy the data entered in the 'Table Name' field, but rather be added. 

There may be table names that don't actually exist. Then too, if a table is removed, then I wouldn't want the table name in the field to disappear. 

Hope this isn't confusing. The images might help. 

------------------------------
Bob T.

2 Replies

DonLarson
    Qrew Commander

Bob,

From the pictures, it looks like you have a support application and are trying to get the Users to tell you what table, in other applications, they have an issue.   Is that correct?

If so, there is native way to get the names of other Quickbase tables into an application automatically.    You will need to create a Table of Table Names and a table of Applications.  You then can create a conditional drop down for the selection of the Table Name.

Don Larson
      BobThomas1
      Qrew Cadet

Thanks Don. I was hoping that once an application was selected, usually defaults to the one the user is in, that it would populate with just the tables that exist.

I think I will explore a bit and probably leave as is. It would be nice to hae the tables present populate & then another choice could be added. If done that way, if it were me, I would try to have the data show how it was chosen, from the actual tables or if the user created there own. 

As I think I stated, or at least meant to, that tables disappear from our apps, and then I would still like the data record stay intact. But if the table no longer was a part of the selected application, a different color could indicate a table no longer part of the app.

Thanks again.

Bob T.