Forum Discussion

PrakashMurali
Qrew Member
7 months ago

Display child records in parent table.

Hi,

I have two tables named Startup and Shareholder. The Startup is the parent to shareholders. There is a field called Shareholders Name in the child table.

I want to display shareholders' names from the child table to a specific field in the parent table as a dropdown. I tried using the option "Values from this field may be a source for dropdown lists in other apps".

It displays all the shareholder's records. But I want it to display shareholders' records for specific Startups.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
Prakash Murali

3 Replies

• Is the list you want specific to the parent? ie, do you want to list all the children in a dropdown? Or is it that you want a list of any shareholders, based off a generic filter?

If the dropdown needs to be conditional based off the parent, the only way I can think to do this (if you don't just want to show them on a report link), is to make a reverse relationship, and have Shareholders be a parent to Startups. Then use the conditional rules.

If option two, you could go to your shareholders table and make a formula text field called [Shareholder Names for Multiple Choice List]. In that formula, essentially only show the names of the shareholders you want based off whatever If statements you need. Then reference that field from your Multiple Choice.

Mike Tamoush
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion

Adding to Mike's post.  Just do a simple backwards relationship.

If the dropdown needs to be conditional based off the parent, the only way I can think to do this (if you don't just want to show them on a report link), is to make a reverse relationship, and have Shareholders be a parent to Startups. Then use the conditional rules.

I don't really understand the second suggestion Mike had but the first one will work.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
      PrakashMurali
      Qrew Member

Hi Mark, 

I wanted to display shareholders' records specific to the parent record in the dropdown so that I could select those shareholders' records for another field(i.e. Certificate Holders).

Since I can't display child records specific to the parent's record in the parent table. I have tried a different method.

I have created a child table named Certificate Holders and displayed it as a report in the parent table.

I have used a conditional dropdown to the relationship so that the shareholder's records should be specific to the Startup record.

Is it a good way to approach this?

Prakash Murali