Forum Discussion

GerryGerry
Qrew Member
10 years ago

Export to excel truncates text to 255 characters - is this a feature or a bug - is there a workaround?

6 Replies

• Hmm, are the fields that are being truncated Text fields and not multi-line text fields?

If you create a multi-line text fields, you have the option to set a max character length.

I would think the the text field is a standard varchar(255) field, a historical limit for varchar text fields.
  • It is a multiline text field with a limit of 0 (no limit) - but the point is that there are more than 255 characters in the field in Quickbase.  It gets truncated after export by excel.  See my response below.

Thanks.
  • weird, I just tested in my QB on a multiline field.  I added 2,200 characters to the field and saved as spreadsheet.

When I open the exported excel sheet, the cell is truncated but once I double click that cell, all 2,200 characters are shown.

Silly question, but have you selected the Excel cell and formatted to Wrap Text?
  • We verified this is a problem with excel which Microsoft acknowledges here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213841

Excel truncates the field when it opens it - which is weird because you can type much more info into a cell in excel than 255 chars.

There is a workaround - select the Format "Tab-Delimited Values" when you export from Quickbase. Open a blank spreadsheet and format the column that will contain the long text as Text. Then open the file you exported with a plain text editor such as Notepad (recommend not using MS Word) and copy and paste the contents back into Excel.  Thanks to Tim Phan of CH2M Hill for the workaround.