Forum Discussion

ChrisNewsome
Qrew Captain
4 years ago

External File Storage

Does anyone have a solid answer to using external file storage? Here's my use-case:

We create work orders for our production guys, who will markup and append to the work order, and then print the work order for our installers to use in the field. I'd like to create a field in quickbase where I can upload that file, and it can be downloaded again, and replaced as necessary via another upload.

There are a lot of these annually and storage will be an issue with the basic QBase package, so I'm looking to external sources. I can't seem to find any good info on how to make this happen in QBase and what service is the best... Amazon S3, box.com, dropbox, etc. My goal is to make the process as easy and seamless as possible for the people using it. As of now, they're creating the files and uploading them to dropbox, and the next person in the line is hunting through dropbox hoping the person before them named it correctly. (human errors you know) A link in the QBase record would streamline this operation.

------------------------------
Thanks,
Chris Newsome

6 Replies

ChrisNewsome
      Qrew Captain
      I know a lot of people use Juiced, but i can't believe there's not a way I can do this myself without paying them $500 a year. That may not seem like a lot to larger companies, but I have to account for every dollar I spend and a simple file storage for $500 is way more than I spend on dropbox or any other file storage options.

Thanks,
      Chris Newsome
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        There are new file handling capabilities which have recently been announced for Pipelines.  I also believe they have weekly "OfficeHours" specifically for Pipelines where you can ask some Quick Base expects for assistance.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com