Forum Discussion

JeffCarlson1
Qrew Member
2 years ago

File Import: Mapping one source field to multiple existing fields

I am wondering how to map one field from a source file to more than one existing fields when performing a file import. As an example, I might have "Customer Name" as a field in my file that I am importing into a table. The existing table may have both fields "Customer Name" and "Customer ID." In this case, I want to be able to map the "Customer Name" from my file into both the "Customer Name" and "Customer ID" fields during the import.

Is this possible without modifying my source file to make an additional field that is a copy of the customer names prior to import?

------------------------------
Jeff Carlson

3 Replies

• It's not possible.  One alternative  would be to import to a temporary staging table.  Then set up a saved table to table copy to copy the records from the staging table to the real table.  In the saved T2T copy, you can map a source fields into multiple target fields.

I have done this for clients, I set up an admin import record in a special table that only has one record. 
    I put a button there to clear the scratchpad table.
    Another button to lead the user to the file import screen where you upload the data
    And then another button to copy the records from the scratchpad table into the real table.  

I show summary totals of how many records are on the Scratchpad and how many records were imported today.

So that really makes the import process easy for front line staff so that the import process can be more easily delegated to a more clerical level user.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JeffCarlson1
      Qrew Member

Awesome - thanks Mark!  I was hopeful you would see this and provide assistance, and here you are.
      I really appreciate all you do for this community.

Jeff Carlson
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

The use of a temporary staging table is a great technique for importing from 3rd party systems where you have limited control over the source format, since you can just import the raw source file "as is" and then add any extra formula columns as needed and also you can add filters in the saved T2T import if not all records are valid to be imported.   Also, of course, the source field names may not be what you want them to be in the Quickbase app, so the saved T2T settings let you do the field mapping.  The scratchpad table will have field names identical to the raw CSV/Excel source so that they import perfectly aligned into the Scratchpad table.  In fact the easiest way to create all the fields in the scratchpad table is to import a source CSV/ Excel file into an empty table with no fields created and let Quickbase create all those fields for you.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com