Forum Discussion

EmberKrumwied
Qrew Assistant Captain
2 years ago

Filter Child Record on Parent Form

I have tried to locate some direction or even determine if what I am seeking is possible, but unable to do so.  Probably because I am not using some correct term on which to search.  Here is my request:

I'd like to be able to filter, within a Parent record, certain child records.  My Parent table is Properties, the Child table is Values.  Each Property can have multiple Values.  I have established the relationship and can show on the Parent form a report showing all the Child records.  What I'd like to do is have a field on the Parent form called Year, and use that value to only display the Child records where the Parent ID matches and the Year matches (the Child records also have a Year field).  A Property can have many Values for the same Year.  Just trying to cut down on some of the noise of the Parent form and only showing a certain year would do the trick.

Thanks

------------------------------
Ember

2 Replies

• OK, this should be easy :)

Create the fields on the Parent form called Year and look that up own to the Children.  Call that lookup field Parent Year Filter

Then, make a report in Values (children) where the filter is:

any

Parent Year Filter is (blank - just leave blank)

Parent Year Filter  equals the value in the field [Year] (ie the year field on the value record.

Note that if you only have a date field on the child values record, then make a new formula numeric on the Value table called Year  with a formula of

Year([value date field]) 

The Year field on the parent should either be a free form numeric data entry field, or if you prefer, you can make it a numeric field with choices from a list.

Then go back to the form properties for the Parent form where you have the embedded list of values, and change that Report Link field to use the new report that you just created.   So the report link gives you just the children of the parent and the filter lookup will further filter the child report.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      EmberKrumwied
      Qrew Assistant Captain

Thanks Mark.  I couldn't create any lookups from the parent as the relationship is based on a lookup.  I did create a PYear Filter field at the parent level, then looked it up at the child level.  Then used your report filter suggestions and now am able to either see all child records for a specific parent or only those child records for a specific parent or year.  Appreciate the assist.  

Ember