Forum Discussion

KateTheriault
Qrew Cadet
6 years ago

Filtered Table to Table Import

I have a Cycles table, with each cycle having ~100 related "Cycle Records". From the "Cycles" table, I'd like to audit those 100 related records. I tried creating a table to table import, but I found I cannot filter on "Cycles". I can only choose filters from the "Cycle Records" table. How can I audit just those 100 records the most easily with Quickbase?

5 Replies

• If one Cycle has many Cycle Records in a relationship, you can look up any field from the Parent Cycles table such as [Cycles name] down to the Cycle Records table and then use that lookup field as a filter.
  • I should be more clear; I feel a bit crazy because this shouldn't be so difficult. Maybe my brain is broken at the moment.

Cycle 1 has 100 Cycle Records. Cycle 2 has 100 Cycle Records. 

When I hit a button in Cycle 1, I want only the 100 Cycle Records from Cycle 1 to record. 

For the filter, I can only choose from the Cycle Records table. So what I really need is a way to pass the filter which Cycle I am clicking from. 

If I try to set up a filter checking against "Related Cycle" I can choose "equal to a value in a field", but I have to select fields still from Cycle Records. Or I can choose "equal to a value" and then I can only choose one specific cycle. 

Is there no way to dynamically create table to table imports like this? If not, how would you recommend I capture the status of the Cycle Records table. I want to capture the state of this table at a specific point in time, not track every single change in that table. 

Thanks!
  • OK, now I'm starting to understand.  So you are sitting on a Cycle Parent record and want to click a button to put say a date stamp into a field on all the child records for that parent? 

Is that the question?
  • The "Cycle Records" table changes quite frequently, and thus is not a good place to store data long term. So it's more than just a "Date stamp", we really need to copy a "state" of the Cycle at a specific time. Because the "state" of that Cycle could change later on, and destroy the data we needed to keep. 
  • Have you worked with URL formula buttons at all?  

What I would do is to set up a table with a single record which would be Record ID# = 1.  Make a field on that table  to record the Record ID# of the Focus Cycle, and then make a relationship back to the Cycle Records table based on a formula numeric field with a formula of 1. [Link to Focus Cycle (=1)] and look up the Record ID# of the focus cycle down to the Cycle records.  

Then update your saved table to table import filer to filter on that field.

I suppose that you could stop there and just run the import manually.

or else you can make this fancier and make a URL formula button to update that record  and run the import and then land the user say on a report of the newly created records.