Forum Discussion

MatthewMatthew2
Qrew Trainee
12 years ago

Formula to look up a corresponding field from a related table?

I'm a new QuickBase user. This is probably a simple question, but I don't know how to construct a formula to look up a corresponding field from a related table.

I have a parent table and a child table with a one-to-many relationship. The child table contains only two fields: Code and Description. There are thousands of records in the child table, each containing a Code and a corresponding Description.

The parent table has a form. One of the fields in the form allows users to manually enter a Code. Another field in the form -- which is a text formula field -- is where I want to enter a formula that will return the corresponding Description based on the Code entered in the first field. Both the Code and Description fields from the child table are part of the relationship to the parent table.

I'm not sure what functions in Quickbase will produce the desired result. I've scoured online help, the knowledge base, the community, etc. for several hours. The closest I've come is finding a response saying yes, QuickBase can do this, but no instructions on how. Can someone please help? Thanks in advance.

32 Replies