Forum Discussion

JohannaEvans
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

Formula to Summarize Multi Select Text by Group rather than Groupings

Hi QuickBase Friends,

I have a multi select text field that I need to summarize by group rather than by grouping.

I started the formula with the following: (I am getting a message expecting a textlist, which is what I thought I provided). I have lost myself in my own formula. Have others run into this?

var textlist counterif=textList(",",ToBoolean([Linked to Priority Strategic Aim]))
If (Contains([PC 1.0 Readmission rate],"PC 1.0 Readmission rate"),1,0),
If (Contains([PC 2.0 Hospital Acquired Infection rate],"PC 2.0 Hospital Acquired Infection rate"),1,0),
If (Contains([PC 3.0 Clinical Care Coordination],"PC 3.0 Clinical Care Coordination"),1,0),

17 Replies

• Can you explain further.

Are you saying that you have a list of say 6 choices but in your mind some of them are Group A and some are Group B and you want to know how many A's and how many B's?

• I have a list of multi text selections that have about 25 items.

When I summarize the fields, a table displays the selections by grouping:

Item 1      = 1
    Item 1, 5  = 1
    Item 1, 3  = 1

This is not what I am looking for, therefore, I thought I could write a formula that recognized the group rather than the grouping.

Item 1 = 3
    Item 3 = 1
    Item 5 = 1

QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      I realized that this is simpler than i thought

Try this

var text Selections = ToText([My Multi select field]);
      var text SearchTerm = "PC 1.0 Readmission rate";

IF(Contains($Selections, $SearchTerm),1,0)

Then if that works OK, just copy the field 24 times and replace the formula variable for the SearchTerm.

QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Are you trying to make 25 fields each to hold the count of a 1 if the multi select contains the nth choice and a 0 otherwise?
      JohannaEvans
      Qrew Trainee
      Yes - of the 25 rows I want a count of how often item 1 is selected (in the example is 3), rather than item 1, then item 1 and 3 counted as a grouping, and item 1 and 5 as a grouping.