Forum Discussion

QuickBaseCoachD
Qrew Captain
6 years ago

Formula to turn a Combined Text Summary field into a vertical list

Sometimes you may not want the "bubble" appearance of the native Combined Text Summary field on a report.  Here is a fun formula to change the appearance of a Combined Text Summary field into a vertical list.  

var text CombinedText = ToText([My Text Concatenation Field]);

var text RemoveSpaceAfterSemiColon = SearchAndReplace($CombinedText, "; ",";");

// substitute new line for semicolon
SearchAndReplace($RemoveSpaceAfterSemiColon,";","\n")

19 Replies

• Nice. I haven't had a chance to try out the new formula functions yet, but they seem useful...
  • Thank you for sharing this. I am trying to do something similar, but can't seem to figure out where to insert your formula. I have a combined text list that I am pulling from a child table as a consolidated list in the parent table through the table relationship. When referencing this combined text field as a column in a report, it renders as a continuous list, with each item surrounded by a bubble. I want to:

- Render the text as a vertical stack
    - Remove the bubbles
    - Render a bullet in front of each line item

Do I insert your formula into the formula section at the report level, and is it possible to modify the formula to add bullets and remove the bubbles? Thank you!

MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
      This would be a new text Rich Text formula field.  

var text CombinedText = ToText([My Text Concatenation Field for Child Records]);

var text ConvertToVerticalListWithBullets=
      Trim(SearchAndReplace($CombinedText, " ; ","<br>&#8226")); // separate entries with a new line and a bullet

If($ConvertToVerticalListWithBullets<>"", "&#8226") // this is a bullet for the first entry
      &
      $ConvertToVerticalListWithBullets

------------------------------
      Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        JenniferSchafer
        Qrew Member
        I used this 2nd formula and it works great.
        However, there are times when my combined text field is blank because our users will be answering that question at a later time.
        In those cases, a bullet point still appears. How can I remove those lonely black dots?

Jennifer Schafer