Forum Discussion

DanSchiesser
Qrew Member
6 years ago

Giving visibility to all users when a connected table (BOX connection) scheduled refresh fails

Hi everyone,
  I have a connected table (BOX CSV file connection) set to automatically refresh on a daily schedule.  At times, the refresh fails because of a duplicated record in the CSV file.  When this happens, I would like to inform all Users of the app about the failed refresh...via their Dashboard.  Ideally, the failed refresh triggers an automation to create a record within a separate table called "Communication".... which would display as a report on their Dashboard with details about the failed refresh.  The Communication table is used for communicating changes/updates to the app based on a release cycle we have established.

If anyone has ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thank you!

2 Replies

• So I don't think there is an out of the box QB feature that could log that the way you're talking - mainly because the only thing I know that gets alerted is the email to the connection owner. But I can maybe think of a couple options that might act like a workaround

1) If you have an integration tool like Workato - you could set up something to watch for an email about the failure, and log the record for 'Communication' just like you described.

2) This is an off the beaten path approach, and not sure if it would match your workflow exactly, but set up a global param table structure that looks at all of your csv records and looks to see if any were added / modified today. If nothing shows with values via that summary - then you know it probably didn't run. 

Option 3 is to just have the person who owns the connection to just do it manually. Obviously not the intent, but figure i'd say it anyway

Chayce Duncan | Technical Lead
    (720) 739-1406 | chayceduncan@quandarycg.com
    Quandary Knowledge Base
  • Thanks for the response Chayce.   Option 1 looks to be the best solution but I'll continue looking for alternatives.  The ultimate goal is to automate fully within QB.   have a nice day,