Forum Discussion

KristyWilliford
Qrew Assistant Captain
5 years ago

has anyone implemented autonumbering with iol technique?

6 Replies

• This is a copy of a pastie by Dan. Can't find the original post:

function makePasswd() {
      var passwd = '';
      var chars = '0123456789';
      for (i = 1; i < 8; i++) {
        var c = Math.floor(Math.random() * chars.length + 1);
        passwd += chars.charAt(c)
      }
      return passwd;
    }

//replace fid_21 with the field ID you want to enter the autonumber.
    $("#_fid_21").val(makePasswd());

• Is there a specific reason you're trying to use IOL instead of a form rule or an automation? The above might work - but if you have the 'next' number in a field somewhere you can reference - you can have a form rule populate the sequence number when someone is editing a record and this 'number' field is blank. Or - same thing - but have an automation populate it when you save and there is not 'number' entered yet.

Chayce Duncan | Director of Strategic Solutions
    (720) 739-1406 | chayceduncan@quandarycg.com
    Quandary Knowledge Base
    KristyWilliford
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Hello,
    Thank you all for your responses.But I tried doing it with record Id and did not work as whenever I delete a sample I want it to start from the beginning.
  • You don't necessarily need 'Record ID#' in this case. You can get around it if you can summarize the # of records in your table to help with sequencing. So an example might be something like this: 

You've got a table for 'Projects'. Each Project should auto-number based on its sequence per your comment - so it should be #1000 - not #1056 (the record Id#) because you deleted 56 of them along the way.

A trick in Quick Base is to do something like a table called 'Global'. Its an admin table only - and it has only 1 record - Record ID# 1. You relate your 'Global' table to 'Projects' - and you make it so that your 'Related Global' field in your Projects table - the field Quick Base tries to create for all new relationships - defaults to a value of 1. What this means then - is that every single Project in your system associates as a child of the one record in 'Global'

What that allows then - you can make a summary field of the # of Projects you have in your system into your 'Global' record - calculate what the next # should be based on the # of projects by adding 1 - then add a lookup of your 'next #' into Projects. Using a form rule - you can store that 'next #' into your project so its stored in place. Once you save the project - the # of Projects increases by one in your 'Global' table - and your next # increases by one also for the next project. 

Chayce Duncan | Director of Strategic Solutions
    (720) 739-1406 | chayceduncan@quandarycg.com
    Quandary Knowledge Base
      EOMDevelepors
      Qrew Captain
      But what happens if you delete projects along the way and the # of projects will be the same as it was yesterday which will cause it not to be unique.