Forum Discussion

MichaelTamoush
Qrew Captain
3 years ago

How can extract just the text from a rich text field?

I have a rich text field that looks like below (a snip from it)

If(
[Rejected/Cancelled]=true, "<div style=\"font-weight:bold; font-size:14px;padding-left: 5px;padding-right: 5px; padding-top: 10px;padding-bottom: 10px; text-align: center; background-color:#f5fca2;\"> Rejected/Cancelled</div>",

[Approval Not Required]=true,"<div style=\"font-weight:bold; font-size:14px;background-color:#4E6EC19;\"> No Approval Required</div>",

[Most Recent Admin Final Approval]="Approved","<div style=\"font-weight:bold; font-size:14px;padding-left: 5px;padding-right: 5px; text-align: center;background-color:#4FB770;\"> Sent to AP for Processing</div>".....etc)

I need the actual text (ie 'Reject/Cancelled, No Approval Required, etc) extracted for form rules and other reasons.

However, if I mirror the field as a test to see what QB sees, an example of the result is:

<div style="font-weight:bold; font-size:14px;padding-left: 5px;padding-right: 5px; text-align: center;color:black; background-color:#E74C3C;"> Manager Sign & Approve</div>

Essentially, it shows literally what is in the Rich Text field. Is my only option to duplicate the field exactly, but remove the formatting? I was hoping I can reference the field in some way, so that if I change my if/then rules in the future, I don't have to change them in two spots. Any sneaky way to reference a Rich Text field and have it return only the text?

------------------------------
Mike Tamoush

2 Replies

• Hi Mike,

Hope you are doing well.

You can use the below formula for the same. Just replace my [Your Rich Text Field] field with your actual rich text field.

Left(Part([Your Rich Text Field],2,">"),"<")

The above formula will extract only text. Try this out and let me know if this works for you in this case.

Thanks,

Gaurav Sharma
    Business Application Architect
    Westhaven Power, Inc
    +91-8826743679
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      I haven't tried, but OF course! Good idea to parse it out like that.

Mike Tamoush