Forum Discussion

NicolaNicola
Qrew Member
6 years ago

How can I log changes to a field in a separate ""field

I have a status field as a dropdown. I need to display the latest project status only in reporting. However, I also need to know when the previous status was changed "from what to what" and by whom, but not display in reports. The log feature adds the changes into the same field, but I require this status log info as a separate data set, as it should not be shared with my report recipients. I want to avoid creating an extra field for this, if I can use the log info for the purpose.....

4 Replies

• You can create a duplicate field of the existing status field and make that a log field and put the condition in the form to update it based on the update done to your existing status field. And, make that field appear only to you as admin, so that other cannot see it
      NicolaNicola
      Qrew Member
      You make it sound easy. But I have only used conditions before in a formula, and not multiple-choice fields :-(
  • A better way is to have an Action write out an audit trail record into a child table table of audit changes and record the old value, the new value and who made the change.  ie record the [Last Modified by]
  • Hi Nicola,

I would agree with Mark that it is usually very handy when tracking things like a status change in a record to make a child table for that tracking. That way your new table can have a field to track What the status changed to, when was it changed, and by who and then that history can live in a table nice and accessible to those who need it but out of the users who don't need its way. Then once that table exists with the right field you can use Quick Base Automations and set them up to say every time a record is added or modified and the status field changes add a new record to the Status Tracking table and copy over the change and the time of the change. There is a Quick Base University less that actually goes over this kind of use case that might be helpful to walk you through some of the options and see if it might be the right fit for your need:

Track Data Changes with Automations