Forum Discussion

AndreaAndrea
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

How do I return one result from three fields?

I have 3 broker fields per order and need to figure out a way to return a total of commissions per broker when that broker's name is in any of the 3 fields. I am writing a report and this is the formula I was attempting to use in the calculated column. (I also filtered my report to show records only where this calculated column was greater than zero.)

If(
[Broker 1 Name]="ABC"
or
[Broker 2 Name]="ABC"
or 
[Broker 3 Name]="ABC",

[Commission 1] + [Commission 2] + [Commission 3], 0)

This worked except that if there was more than one broker (who we will call "XYZ") but one of the names was the "ABC" that I was searching for, it still added the commission for XYZ into the formula. (understandably)

How do I tell it to only calculate Commissions 1, 2, or 3, when the broker is ABC? I tried to add in additional IF formulas:

If([Broker 1 Name]= ?ABC?,[Commission 1],0)

+

If([Broker 2 Name]= ?ABC?,[Commission 2],0)

+

If([Broker 3 Name]= ?ABC?,[Commission 3],0)

,0)

but that did not work either. I'd like to have all of this info on one report rather than having to run a separate report for each broker field. I am open to suggestions!

Thank you!

7 Replies

• Try a case statement

Case(true,
    [Broker 1 Name]="ABC",[Commission 1],
    [Broker 2 Name]="ABC",[Commission 2],
    [Broker 3 Name]="ABC",[Commission 3],
    "")
  • Thank you! It is still returning the same formula error. "Formula syntax error - Expected a valid expression after the "=" and it specifies the "=" after [Broker 1 Name]. I double checked all parentheses etc.