Forum Discussion

ScottShenefield
Qrew Trainee
11 years ago

How do you hide a legend in a pie chart

I have a pie chart report that I previously had set with the legend hidden. Since the 10/6/13 upgrade this option had disappeared and I can't seem to locate a way to hide it again. Anyone know how? This is critical for an Executive level report format.

9 Replies

• I select the option to display Data Lables (Name and Percentage) which serves this purpose nicely as it points directly to the section of the cart the category applies to.  Having the Legend there is redundant and shrinks to chart to an undesireable size.  The user should have the option to display the legend or not at their discretion.  It shouldn't be an automatic feature.  The format of the chart is now unacceptable for Executive level reporting due to this.  Please add a feature that allows the user to hide it at their discretion.
  • I see that these comments were posted over a year ago. I have the same problem as Scott today. Is there a way to hide the legend with a pie chart now?
  • I am now having the same problem! :) Any updates for this?
  • Any update on this issue? I have the same problem where the legend is covering the data label on a funnel chart so I cannot use for reporting - this renders the graphic useless. As a minimum the option to move the legend to the bottom of the graph would be useful.
  • Perhaps this is somehow connected to this change I found listed in the release notes.  If so, this is a significant takeaway and a problem.  Fixed one problem and created another?

QBE006176
    The legend on the Report Builder page disappeared when you added a filter set to a chart report with a series defined. This issue has been resolved.
  • Hey Scott-

The reason the legend sometimes is there and sometimes is not, is because in real time we're calculating whether or not the filter you are using is going to result in data that actually warrants a legend. So in order words as you start adding more filters to the series, eventually you may add a filter that results in no records, in which case the legend disappears.

Now, with the bug fix, when that happens the legend still disappears but we render a message there that says no records meet the criteria, explaining why the legend disappeared. The other aspect of that bug we fixed is that it doesn't retain the colors you picked as you came back to the page. Now it does.

Let me know if there are any questions on this.
  • This would be a great addition to the product. If you have not already, please go to http://quickbase.uservoice.com and see what QuickBase users are saying -- your idea may already be in the system. If not, we encourage you to enter it there, and vote on ideas to help them become part of QuickBase in the future.
  • I can confirm that the behavior for the legend on pie charts is still the same and hasn't been changed to include an option to suppress the legend. There is an existing User Voice request on this but it did lose some steam so it hasn't received votes in some time. I would suggest adding your votes to this User Voice request if it is something that would be beneficial to show that the demand for it hasn't waned with time. 

https://quickbase.uservoice.com/forums/111823-quick-base-product-feedback/suggestions/5430001-allow-...

This helps as our PD team makes use of User Voice to track user interest in enhancements and features and new votes will bring it back up to attention. Thank you very much for your time today.