Forum Discussion

LorraineChung
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

How to add multiple child records and display the child records added before submitting the form?

I'm in the process of building a multi-page public facing form for a college's online application form. In the last section, we need the student to pick a course, then according to the availability of the course pick a location and session, then start date. My question is, we want the student to be able to add multiple course-session-(intake dates) before submitting the application. What is the best way to do this? I'm guessing, is to add child records to the parent record? And I would need a button that saves and continue editing. But i'm not sure how to build this without breaking my current app?

3 Replies

• There is a checkbox on the table of the Parent records called

Save record automatically when adding children.

If you check that box it will perform as per its name.

Hence the workflow of the user will not be interrupted when they work down the firm to start the firm, then add children, then continue editing on the Oarent form.
    AlexWilkinson
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    In addition to checking the box that Mark wisely recommends, you might want to consider some options for the user experience.

1. Checking the box and offering a button to add a (child record) for the intake date. In this case, if the user is editing the parent record and clicks the add button, the user experience will be to add the child, save it, and be returned to the parent in view mode. They can then add another child if you have the add button displayed when the parent is in view mode. Or they can click the standard widget to enter the parent.

2. Using a grid-edit embedded table for the child (intake date) records. This may not be a totally intuitive option for users not experienced in Quick Base, but it reduces the back-and-forth between edit and view modes. You might have to insert a text field above the embedded table to guide the users. Essentially, there's an embedded table of intake date records on the parent record, and in the form-builder you specify that the table is editable. Then the user can type multiple records (rows) right in the embedded table, all while in edit mode on the parent.

3. A custom version of the standard "Save & keep working" button might be useful, since your form is long. The following post has various ideas on how to do that:  https://community.quickbase.com/quickbase/topics/is-it-possible-to-create-a-save-and-keep-working-bu...
    AlexWilkinson
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    In addition to checking the box that Mark wisely recommends, you might want to consider some options for the user experience.

1. Checking the box and offering a button to add a (child record) for the intake date. In this case, if the user is editing the parent record and clicks the add button, the user experience will be to add the child, save it, and be returned to the parent in view mode. They can then add another child if you have the add button displayed when the parent is in view mode. Or they can click the standard widget to re-edit the parent.

2. Using a grid-edit embedded table for the child (intake date) records. This may not be a totally intuitive option for users not experienced in Quick Base, but it reduces the back-and-forth between edit and view modes. You might have to insert a text field above the embedded table to guide the users. Essentially, there's an embedded table of intake date records on the parent record, and in the form-builder you specify that the table is editable. Then the user can type multiple records (rows) right in the embedded table, all while in edit mode on the parent.

3. A custom version of the standard "Save & keep working" button might be useful, since your form is long. The following post has various ideas on how to do that:  https://community.quickbase.com/quickbase/topics/is-it-possible-to-create-a-save-and-keep-working-bu...