Forum Discussion

TamaraBillings
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

How to build a rule to hide form fields if the field's name begins with specific characters

Is there a way to set a form rule to hide all fields where the field name starts with "xyz" or contains "xyz"?  I have a lot of fields to hide for several rules and I'm trying to avoid the task of selecting each individual field from the drop down in the form rules if I can help it. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

3 Replies

• Interesting idea, but there is not a native way to do that.  You can hide Fields or hide Sections or hide Tabs.  Perhaps you can make greater use of Sections or Tabs.

• Darn. OK.  I already have tabs, so I'll take a look at the fields option.  Some combination may work.  I was just hoping there was a quick way to avoid data entry.   Thank you for the quick response.  :)
  • Are any of these xyz fields "secondary" to another field value.  For example; if the answer to a field is "no" you might want another field to display asking for more information.  Can any of your rules follow that logic?

It is curious that you are trying to hide fields based on the field label; rather than the content or a trigger from another value in the same record.

We often have to build a Section that we hide from all users; but where fields need to be in a form for Form Rules to work.  We can control this by a rule which says:

When multiple conditions are true
    The user is in the Role Administrator and
    The user is not in the Role Administrator

then
    Show "Hidden Section"

This prevents a section of fields from being visible to any User (including Administrators) but allows the fields to still "live" in the Form Layout.  Admins can always disable/enable the rule if you need to view the hidden section temporarily.