Forum Discussion

GerryMunroe
Qrew Trainee
11 months ago

How to do many many calculations

Hi we are converting an excel app. We will have a Projects table with 5 projects. There will be about 10 tables that have lots of calculations. There are about 300 variables that the user enters, and are used variously throughout the calculations. Im wondering how to organize the variables and calculations.  I could add all variables as fields in the project table and link the tables or use query functions to use them in calcs.  OR I could have a variables table, with a record for variable name and value, but not sure this works for the calculation field (diff formula for each record?). 

Any ideas how to handle this?

------------------------------
Gerry Munroe

3 Replies

• Are these "variables" constant for a single Project, but each different Project's Variables have different values for a particular field? 

Or are they constant for All Projects?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      GerryMunroe
      Qrew Trainee

Each project has unique values in the variable.

Gerry Munroe
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Well 300 is a lot of variables, but no sweat for Quickbase to handle.  I suggest just putting the fields directly on the projects forms and do your best to Organize them nicely in section or maybe even tabs.

I suppose that your users are used to the Excel layout so you might just try to mimic that.   

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com