Forum Discussion

MattStephens
Qrew Cadet
2 years ago

How to make an embedded report editable on the new form

Ok... loving the new form builder BUT....

I can't see how to make an embedded report editable.

Basically, what's the new version of this: 

Is this possible?

------------------------------
Matt Stephens

8 Replies

• That Grid Edit feature is not yet available. I think it will roll out when they get in line editing working on table reports. But we really don't have a timeline on when that will be.

But we really don't have a timeline on when that will be.

Users can click on full report to get into Grid Edit that way, but if they add children in Grid Edit, then they will end up being orphans, unless you make related parent proxy field a required field and force the users to reselect the same parent, which I know it's awkward.

in trying to think of a workaround for the time being. I was thinking of making a mini form on the old style so when the user click grid edit, they would end up in edit mode on the old form. That's what I'm thinking is the best in term solution.  

when I'm next at my computer, I will try to remember to post some code for that. The issue is going to be you want to return the user upon save back to the new form.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AdamKrzyzanek
      Qrew Captain

This is super bad news :( without this functionality I will not be able to use NEW form in many of my scenarios until it is available :(

Adam Krzyzanek
      MattStephens
      Qrew Cadet

Hi Mark, 

I like your idea of mini forms. We have a mega form with close to 1000 fields, so whenever I have an embedded report within the main form, I'll probably just include a button to go to a special legacy-style form that includes just the fields relevant to editing that embedded data. It's a bit of a pain... but will have to do for the moment.

Matt Stephens
      MichaelRose
      Qrew Trainee

That Grid Edit feature is not yet available. I think it will roll out when they get in line editing working on table reports. But we really don't have a timeline on when that will be.

We really need a better answer on this. This missing feature breaks a significant existing UI feature which makes it extremely difficult to move forward with the new forms due to existing user workflows. 

Can we get a better answer?

Michael Rose
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

I think it could be several months before Grid Edit is available on New Style forms.

This code seems to work to create a button to Grid Edit on a mini Legacy form and then return to display the record on the New Style form.

// form ID 11 is a mini form in Legacy Style just for Grid Edit purposes
        // form ID 12 is the New Style form.
        // the intent is to click this button to go into Grid Edit mode on legacy form, and then upon save, return to the New Style Form

var text EditOnMiniForm = URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=er&dfid=11&rid=" & [Record ID#];
        var text DisplayParent = URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=dr&dfid=12&rid=" & [Record ID#];

$EditOnMiniForm
        & "&NextURL=" & URLEncode($DisplayParent)

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com