Forum Discussion

MeaganMcOlin
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

How to shorten the display of a text field?

I have a comments field that is long enough to really mess up the table view, so I want it to only display the first 20 words unless you click into it. How can I do that?

I tried to do use this formula to shorten the view of my "appt. comments" text field in my table. 

Left([Appt. Comments],20)

However, I received this message "Formula error
A formula may not contain a reference to itself directly or indirectly through another formula."

Any idea on how to do this?

------------------------------
Meagan McOlin

6 Replies

• You would need to have a separate abbreviated field to use on reports.  if you want to get fancier there is syntax to have a 'more' link appear to allow drilling into the record to see the full record.  There is also syntax possible to allow hover text to see the full note

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MeaganMcOlin
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Mark,

What I need is to shorten the comment display on the table view. So that it doesn't make the record/row it is on so long. I want the record height to be uniform and the comments section is preventing that right now.

Meagan McOlin
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      Mark, what is the hover syntax? Or is that something complicated enough we need to take it offline and consult?

Mike Tamoush
        MeaganMcOlin
        Qrew Trainee
        Hover syntax is deeper knowledge than I have. :) But I would love to learn.

Meagan McOlin