Forum Discussion

CurtisMiddleto1
Qrew Cadet
6 months ago

Huge Oversight with New Forms?

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just ran into an error with the new forms and am baffled as to how we are about 7 months into the new forms and this error exists.

I've setup a very basic parent-child relationship. When I go to add children records from the parent, it is incapable of chain-adding records (i.e. Save + New). When I try to do so, it only relates the first child to the parent record. All subsequent records are parentless. The only way around this is to Save & Close and add from the parent directly..

Then on top of this, when I'm done adding children and go to save the parent record, it redirects me to add another child record (???).

I'm really hoping this is my own incomptence, but it's rather frustrating to find this out many hours into a project.

Thanks for any guidance/help!

------------------------------
Curtis Middleton

6 Replies

LB
    Qrew Trainee

Yes, I'm having a similar glitch with a app that is using the older style forms. When the user goes to save a record it will take them back to a random previously entered record. 

LB
    LB
    Qrew Trainee

Are you still having this issue? or have any updates?

LB
    • I submitted a ticket with Quickbase support. The the inability to chain-add children records on the new form, according to Quickbase support, "is working as designed". So that wasn't great to hear. I've had to implement custom buttons to account for this. Though the other issue with the new forms is you cannot hide the native "Save" button. Even with adding &IFV=1 to the url, it still shows in the upper right corner, whereas the old forms would properly hide it. So now I have 2 custom buttons and a blue save button in the upper right corner I don't want and doesn't work.

As for the issue where saving the parent puts me in a loop, they've escalated my ticket to get this addressed.

Both the parent and child are in the new forms, so a difference in form style is not the issue, unfortunately.

Curtis Middleton
        AlexWilkinson
        Qrew Assistant Captain

There's an exception to the rule for that parent and child forms must both be on new-style or both on legacy-style.

Scenario: You are editing a previously save record in a new-style form and you want to add a parent with the pop-up-then-refresh method. That works if the pop-up uses a legacy-style form, but not if it uses a new-style form.

Same is true if you use %%rid%% on an unsaved new-style record to which you are adding a parent.

Alex Wilkinson

• I experienced a similar situation last week.  In my case we had update the Parent Table forms from Legacy to New, but had not yet converted Child Table forms.   Resolution was to ensure that the child table forms were also converted to New Forms.  Apparently Parent Table and Child Table need to have same type of form.

Annetta Coleman
        LB
        Qrew Trainee

My forms were both in the old form format and not in the new. 

LB