Forum Discussion

MontgomeryHepne
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

I am trying to learn formulas in QB.

Clearly I am new to formulas. I am trying to replicate examples listed in the Sample Formulas Home. The formula I am trying to work through is: Color rows based on who a user is it uses this example: If([Assigned To]=ToUser("baker@example.com"), "pink", ""). I created a user field and then a formula to display the associated email for that user. 

My field names are [Salesperson] type: User and then [Email] type: Formula Email

What confuses is me is where I place this code. Does it get added to my formula email field? If so, how would the syntax look? Do I create an additional formula field and add my modified code (from the example)? Hopefully this will start to makes sense soon :)

7 Replies

• It looks like you are trying to color rows on a table report. 

There is a formula box on the report configuration to do row colorization. That is where the formula goes.
  • That did it. It must be me, but I find the reference material lacking in that basic information. Regardless, thank you Mark.
  • Well, the alternative to the help text is sitting yourself down for 30 minutes a day, every day, and getting though the free and actually quite comprehensive Quick Base university videos.
  • That is fair, however, I have done that completely and still find that the formula portion is sorely lacking much detail when it comes to being thorough. I will say that they have helped me in many areas, just not that particular area.
      JasonJohnson2
      Qrew Cadet
      The formula portion is probably always going to be lacking. The community is a great resource but takes time to search in. Another aide in formulas is taking some of the sample apps and dissecting them. I learned a lot when I first started using Quick Base by doing that. A good example is trying to learn formulas for buttons and Kirk Trachy's Magic Buttons app. I took his great foundation, learned and elevated my skills beyond what he made. 
      AdamKeever1
      Qrew Commander
      Are you aware that you can search help? Click the Question Mark Icon in the upper right of your screen, type in your subject, and click Go. There is an extensive amount of resources about formulas. Click the Online Help section and you will get a return of Quick Base provided information about formulas:

JasonJohnson2
      Qrew Cadet
      Great point Adam, that should have been my answer first then mention the apps. I just assumed he was using that feature. As for why it takes me time....outside of a few simple things normally I am working a formula that requires me finding bits and pieces from many places. I guess after 5 years I forgot what it is like being a newer builder.