Forum Discussion

LouisWambsganss
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Import source file tag

Hello all,

I have a need to do recurring file imports. I want to tag each new imported record with the file that it came from. I've searched and cannot find any help. 

So let's say I want to import data1.csv into a QB table. In addition to the data in the .csv file, each record created would also have a "Source File" field that would be automatically filled in with "data1.csv".

Then a week later when I import from data2.csv, all of those new records would have Source File of "data2.csv".

At any point in the future, I can filter all records on what external .csv file created them via the import process.

Thanks in advance!
Lou

------------------------------
Louis Wambsganss

1 Reply

• I have three ideas, but the third one is the best.

1. Add a column to the csv with the name of the file and before each import manually fill that in using excel.

2. Create two new tables.  The first will be a scratchpad import table where the csv will be imported into as a first step of the import.  Then create a second table called Import file name and create a field there where you have hand typed the file name.  This 2nd table will only have 1 record.  It will be Record ID# 1.   Make a relationship to the scratch file import table using a reference field with a formula of 1.  Look up the file name down to the scratch file import table.

Then make a saved table to table copy to import the data, including the file name into the real table.

3. Do as above but in the Import File name table make a file attachment field where you will attach the import file.  The only purpose of this is to be able to get at the the file name without needing to type it.  I suggest 

Then make a formula URL button which will do all these successive actions in one click.
    A. Run the saved table to table copy.
    B. Erase the scratch table
    C. Erase the file attachment.  

I can help with that URL formula button if you want to go that route.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com