Forum Discussion

MackenziePhilli
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Index child records per parents record

Hello,

Is there a way to index the number of child records per parent record? What i want to accomplish is in a form display values from the same table from previously entered records.

I have a parent record -- projects and a child -- cost packages. Each month the parent gets created a cost package. We need a form that displays values for this months cost package and last months cost package per project. Is there a way to index the child records per parents so i can specify to the summary field that I want a summary of the second to last created cost package? Or a summary field of (Max Index -1)?

Thanks​
#indexing #variances #summary
​​​

------------------------------
Mackenzie Phillips

2 Replies

• You can make a summary field on the parent of the Maximum Record ID of the child table.  Call it [Max Record ID# 1].

I am assuming here that the children get entered in order. There is another way to do this if the children do not necessarily get entered in order.

Look up that [Max Record ID# 1] down to the Child  table and then you can make a new summary field of the maximum of the Record IDs subject to the Record ID being less than the value in the field the [Max Record ID# 1].  Call it [Max Record ID#2].

You can create any summary fields you'd like and put in the filter where the record ID is equal to the value in the field [Max Record ID# 2].  Or another one for equals to [Max Record ID# 1].  Then easily float up any numeric or date values using the summary maximum feature, or else do a combined text summary field for any text values.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MackenziePhilli
      Qrew Trainee
      Thank you Mark, me, a mere moral, has wasted so much time trying to figure this out.

This works perfect

Mackenzie Phillips