Forum Discussion

ChristopherSumm
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

Is there a means to print a form when it is saved?

Is there a means to print a form when it is saved? Or is it possible to add a PRINT button to the form so it can be printed before it is saved?

15 Replies

• Hi Christopher,

There is not a native option to add a print button directly to the Add or Edit form of a record. The reason for this is that the record hasn't been placed in that state yet and saved to Quick Base. Once a record is saved then it is available through the native print function to be pushed out as a printable record. 
  • Hey Chris,

Yes, it can be easily done by a button.
    Create a Formula-URL button and paste the below code into your formula.

URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=printr&rid=" & [Record ID#]
    Through this button, you can easily print a record during adding or editing a record.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Gaurav
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Gaurav, but for some reason, Christopher wants to print before the record is saved.
  • The staff who are completing the records need to print it so it can be faxed when requested.  A easy to see print button will help them.

• I will pass on to the group that they need to "Save and Keep Working" when they want to print.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      I'm curious about your use case that you want to allow users to print before they have finished entering all the data for the record.
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      Maybe it looks more like a filled in paper form and the fax recipient is accustomed to this format? 

Anyway it can be done with script if that is what the OP wants.
  • The record is being saved.  Based on the end user request, the staff just wants a bigger, more apparent button to print.  I had shown them the print icon on the tool bar, but I think they like something that stands out.

QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      OK, so you have your formula now from Gaurav and you can choose to color the button to make it stand out.
  • Yes, exactly.  I had set up notifications to email addresses, but some of the recipients do not use emails to receive the forms.  So we had to revert to sending all requests via fax.  Its like a bunch of lambos behind a Tercel on a two lane highway.  Our process is based on the lowest common denominator.