Forum Discussion

trobergetroberg
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Is there some way to create a pop-up alert whenever user edits specific field but only for flagged records?

We plan to add a checkbox to records in a table.  The checkbox will be checked when the ITEM has components.

If the components checkbox is checked... it will be considered a "flagged ITEM record".

We want the "flagged ITEM record" to display an alert reminder whenever a user tries to edit the flagged items QTY field...and if a user tries to edit the QTY field they will see an alert to remind user that the ITEM has components, and that the component items must also be edited.

Ideas about how this might be possible?

7 Replies

• Are they making these edits via a regular Quick Base form? Sounds like form rules might be handy here

Do you need to just alert them? Or do you need to stop them editing QTY at all. An alternative approach might be that when your 'Flagged Item record' checkbox is checked to add a form rule that locks down / hides the QTY field and displays text on the page that directs them per your comment above. 

To your specific point - form rules can be created such that if the QTY is edited and this is a flagged record - and it differs from the qty of the components - the form rule can display a message that QTY is different - and they need to update the components too. 

Chayce Duncan | Director of Strategic Solutions
    (720) 739-1406 | chayceduncan@quandarycg.com
    Quandary Knowledge Base
  • Thanks - Yes an alert is preferred as users should be able to modify QTY on occasion.

But think form rules as you describe might do it...will experiment with them and see.

Thanks for your response.
  • Well this is closest thing I was able to figure out.

But when I open the record...I do not see any message.

Do you see any problem with this?  Any Idea why I cannot see the message?

• the field is part of form...and still see no message.  Do you think it may be a bug that needs to be reported?

• Actually got this to work finally.

I moved the rule up to top of rule list...and when I re-opened it is now displaying the message.
      AustinK
      Qrew Commander
      It sounds like it was having a conflict with another rule on the form. If it was not firing then something else likely fired before it that took precedence. You might review your other rules to make sure nothing is trying to fire on the same fields or conditions. Either that or there might be a bug that requires that type of rule to be at the very top. Strange issue but at least you got it fixed.