Forum Discussion

JackGarvey1
Qrew Member
2 years ago

January 2023 Quickbase Gantt Plugin - Working with Existing Project Apps

Looking for ideas/help on making the following happen and have tried a few things that didn't work including actions.  It seems that pipelines might be flexible enough to do this, although I just don't know enough to figure out how to setup pipelines. 

I'll also reference a recent discussion topic which is about the same topic I'm posting on, i.e., how to use the January 2023 Quickbase Gantt plugin with a pre-existing project management/tracking app, see:   January 2023 Quickbase Gantt Plugin - automatic table setup | Quick Base Announcements  Their question was about how to create the tables IN their original project app -- I don't want to do that because of the resultant complexity.

Here's what I'd like to do.  Given that the GANTT Template App using the Gantt plugin works great when you don't mess with tables, etc., I was trying to figure out a way to link an existing project tracking app table, i.e., an app with a table called "Projects" with a field named "Project Title" TO a successfully setup, and un-populated, Project Template App so that a project record in the original table would be "linked" through URLs and record ID's with a Gantt chart in the Gantt chart template app.  

What I envisioned was -- in my existing tracking app -- having a "button" that you would press, or link that you would click on, that would 1) bring you to the Gantt template app, and 2) create a new project record there with a corresponding Gantt chart.  It would copy over some core information from the original app, such at Project Title, perhaps client, and maybe a few other project pieces of data.   After editing / creating activities, dates, etc. in the Gantt and saving it, you could click on a link or button -- that was created or brought over from the original project entry -- to take you back to the original project entry. 

Key here is that not all projects that we track in the original project app need Gantt charts -- some are very simple projects.  We'd probably only want/need/use Gantt charts for maybe 10-20% of projects.

I'm envisioning links or buttons that would bring you back and forth between the two apps -- and the two project records -- so that users (with the right permissions) could view and update Gantt charts when one is needed for a project.  So for the user it would be relatively seamless.

Any thoughts on how to execute such a seamless, user-friendly linkage creation and navigation between two apps/tables?

Thanks in advance.  

------------------------------
Jack Garvey

5 Replies

• Jack, I've been doing this for years, as I had an old MCF Gantt app before the integration to QB last year.  

l'm utilizing my Gantt App from several 'source' apps. 

In each source app, I have the following fields

Logic is relatively straightforward, if they need a gantt, they check the [Use MCF Gantt Flag].  This displays the section containing all the other stuff.

[Create MCF Gantt Project] -> sets [MCF Gantt Project Created Flag]=true -> fires pipeline to add a record containing, as you say, all the pertinent info plus a 'hardcoded type' to a new MCF Gantt record.  Once Created, pipeline echoes back the new Gantt.[record ID#] to [MCF Gantt Record]. 

Once [MCF Gantt Record] is populated, I show: 
    [Launch MCF Gantt Button] &   
    [MCF Tasks] : just gives a list of the gantt tasks in the source app for easy viewing/reference.

In MCF Gantt: The following fields

The create Gantt Pipeline populates the [Source Record ID] and sets the [Source App Flag] - Admittedly mine is poor for scalability, could use these 3 fields better instead of replicating them for every app linked to this Gantt app.  

[Go Back to Source App] : When Gantt chart UI closes, is drops you in that Gantt app, so for the relatively seamless feel you want, in the main page of Gantt, where I land when closing the UI, I have 2 buttons, reopen the Gantt, or go back to the source.  

Mine works well for what I'm doing, let me know if you have any questions!

Good Luck!

Jeremy Myer
      JackGarvey1
      Qrew Member

Jeremy,
      Wow -- thank you.   The great news here is that -- as I suspected -- this can be done, and your solution is exactly what I was hoping to hear could be accomplished.  The bad news is that I've now got to figure out how to do it. :)   I use developers for bigger projects and quasi-coding activities, but probably like you I often just want to get it done.  So, I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to setup pipelines to move the information back and forth.   Your explanation is helpful in understanding some of the logic flow, field entries and UI considerations, but figuring out the pipeline will be tough.  If you can share anything relative to pipeline structures, I'd be all ears and much appreciative -- but I also understand if that's asking too much.  I always try to self-teach, so this might force me to figure out pipelines!

Thank you again -- much appreciated!!   Have a great day.  Jack

Jack Garvey
      JackGarvey1
      Qrew Member

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks again for the information.  I worked on this for a couple of hours last night, and although I think after doing more pipeline research I can figure out the pipelines, I'm really struggling with the formula-URL fields and what should go in there, and what the syntax should be.  I've tried to read all I can on how to setup formula URLs and spent quite a bit of time with the "Magic Buttons" app -- which was helpful -- but I just don't know enough about what I'm trying to accomplish or how the "language" fo the variables and URLs works.  Any additional "URL formulas" for dummies help in this case would be appreciated.  Thanks for considering.

Jack Garvey