Forum Discussion

CarolMcconnell
Qrew Captain
2 years ago

Lookup Value in another table from a connected app

Me and table to table relationships don't like each other.

I have done this before but for some reason I'm stumped on this one.

I have two QB apps. The matching field between the two are TAX ID.  I have the table from the other app into my main app already set-up.  I'm trying to set up the relationship but keep getting the wrong thing.  The Parent table has the TAX id field and I can set it as the key field if needed.  The child table also has a TAX id field that the user keys in the number.  I want that child table to pull in other fields from the parent table when the two tax id fields match.

How should that the relationship be set up?

Thanks

------------------------------
Carol Mcconnell

6 Replies

• You say that you can set the Key field of the Parent table to be the Tax ID. So I suggest you go ahead and do that.

Create that relationship where one parent has many children and select the tax ID field on the child record for the reference field which will end up being on the right side of the relationship.  

Once you do this when creating a child record launched off a parent, the ad child record should automatically fill in the field for tax ID, and conversely if your workflow is that the user enters the child record first, then there should be a nice drop-down list of tax IDs for the user to choose from, and of course you can control which fields are presented to the user in the drop-down list to help them to choose the correct Parent.  There are various ways to control those fields but the basic one is to go to the advanced properties of the parent table and select up to three fields as the most relevant record picker fields.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      CarolMcconnell
      Qrew Captain

That is what I first did but I don't want a drop down for the Tax ID in the child table.  I need the user to key that in and if there is a match to the parent table, then pull the other fields in.  There will not always be a match.

Carol Mcconnell
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

No problem.

Create the relationship and let the system create a new field for you called initially [Related Tax ID] when it builds the relationship.  Then edit that field's properties, and make it a formula field with a formula of [Tax ID].

The Tax ID field is the existing field in your child table.

The effect of this is that the user can continue to do free form entry into the child record [Tax ID] field, and if it happens to match (via the formula) with a Parent record then the look up fields will come down nicely.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com