Forum Discussion

SoGood
Qrew Trainee
8 years ago

Match people to property

Hi, I have an app with a table of applicants looking for property and a table of properties. I want to be able to match applicants to a property and vice versa. So for example I have a record for Mrs Smith looking for a 3 bed house up to ?100,000 - I want to display a report with matching properties. Any thoughts on this. Thanks

2 Replies

• The easiest way to do this is with script. You don't want to create a ton of extra tables and relationships because this is basically a search problem not a data modeling problem.

You will need a table for Buyers and Properties and either multiple columns in each table or a child table for the amenities and features. Many of the amenities and features will be multiple choice fields although some might be numeric. Here is just a sampling of possible fields although there could be hundreds of potential amenities or features a user may want to search on some of which will be required and some of which will be desired or optional.

Buyer
      [Name]
      [Info]
      [Offer Price]
      Desired Amenities:
        [Rooms] (1, 2, 3+)
        [Baths] (1, 2, 3+)
        [Size] (1000 sqft, 2000 sqft, 3000 sqft, 4000+ sqft)
        [Heating] (Gas, Electric, Coal)
        [Lot Size] (.5 acre, 1 acre, 2+ acre)
        [Type] (House, Condo, Townhome, Multi-Family, Mobile)
        [Sale Type] (Resale, For Sale By Owner, New Construction, Foreclosures)

Properties
      [Address]
      [Info]
      [Asking Price]
      Actual Amenities:
        [Rooms] (1, 2, 3+)
        [Baths] (1, 2, 3+)
        [Size] (1000 sqft, 2000 sqft, 3000 sqft, 4000+ sqft)
        [Heating] (Gas, Electric, Coal)
        [Lot Size] (.5 acre, 1 acre, 2+ acre)
        [Type] (House, Condo, Townhome, Multi-Family, Mobile)
        [Sale Type] (Resale, For Sale By Owner, New Construction, Foreclosures)

A button on each Buyer and Property record would search for potential matches by invoking a script to query the other table and sort the results by some type of scoring mechanism (required criteria before optional criteria).

You have to use script to perform this search as the most important criteria probably is on location and price both of which require search, filtering and ranking capabilities beyond what native reports can produce.

This is a very interesting application as it critically highlights the distinction between database searching and modeling. If you need assistance with a script solution to this problem feel free to contact me off-world using the information in my profile:

https://getsatisfaction.com/people/dandiebolt
    SoGood
    Qrew Trainee
    Excellent. Thankyou. I will be in touch. It is one of the last things on my list.