Forum Discussion

MichaelBralow1
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

Multiple Child Records Button

So the basics are I am making a simple Project Tracker. Where i have multiple Users being assigned the same task. Each of them needed to complete that task. 

I have 3 tables. A Staff Table, A Tasks Table and an Assignments table. The Assignments Table right now is the child of both the Tasks and the Staff Table. 

I have 3 or 4 different sets/combinations of users that ideally i could click a url button and have it create multiple child records (1/user) in that assignments table. So i am looking for a button for group 1, group 2 and group 3. So i can assign 30 tasks. without making an upload each time. 

5 Replies

• Since it is only 3 or 4 records being created in a click, this can be done very low tech with a few different URL formula buttons.

Have you ever made any URL formula buttons?
  • Hi, sorry i think this wasn't as clear as it could've been. It would be making between 20-30 records. (3-4 different combinations of the 40ish users). So group 1 would be 20 people and have a button to make the records for each of them. Then group 2 would be 20 people and have a different button. Does that make sense?
  • So is this the situation.  You have a Project with Tasks.  The different projects will have different tasks. ie your Projects do not have a std set of tasks?

Then you want to assign say Team A to all of Project 1's Tasks, and in your mind, Team A means say Mary Paul and Sue get assigned to all of Project's A's Tasks.  So if Project 1 has 10 Tasks, then it would need to make 30 Task Assignments.

Is that the situation?
  • that is correct. They would each need an individual record however because each Mary, Paul & Sue need to complete task 1. Not combined but individually. So in mine it would be persons #1,#2,#3... #20. Each complete task #1, #2, #3
  • So yes, this can be done natively without script.  The general process would be to have a table of users where the Key field is Userid.

The user would click a button to update the User table by either creating the current user's userid or editing it to record which would record which Project's Tasks need Assignments. 

The user would then be sitting on their own record and I think the most KISS method would be to have a drop down list of Resources to choose form, and then the user would save, press a button, and the Resource Assignments would be created, say Assigning Mary to all tasks for the Focus Project.

Then the user would edit the User Focus record and select say Paul, and repeat. 

It could also be built slightly differently by having a button per resource, you the user would just click a single click on each desired Resource and they would get their Resource Assignments created for the tasks on the Focus Project. So a Bit more setup to do it tat way, but quicker to actually use. 

While 100% native with no scripting, the steps to do this are too many for me to explain in this Forum.  It would probably take me an hour or two to get this working for you if you want to contact me via the information on my website QuickBaseCoach.com .  We would do the development work together on a GotoMeeting so you would learn the technique for future use.