Forum Discussion

BillyBussey
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

My code using Sum function with the - operator.

What is wrong with my code?   [Apply Discount] is a checkbox  the rest are numeric formula fields.  [Discount] is a numeric field.  It will Sum but fails to subtract the [Discount] even when not used in the IF statement. 

If([Apply Discount]= true, Sum ([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],[Removal Total]-[Discount]),Sum([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],[Removal Total]))

10 Replies

• Hi Billy,

Have you tried wrapping just the section with the subtraction in its own set of parenthesis?

If([Apply Discount]= true, Sum ([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],([Removal Total]-[Discount])),Sum([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],[Removal Total]))

Just to make sure that Subtraction is being calculated first.
  • It still doesn't do the subtraction.  I get the sum total whether Apply discount is checked or not. 
  • Could you try putting in 1 instead of true for your checkbox really quick and see what you get back?

So [Apply Discount]=1
  • Good idea though, Here is the code that worked.    What you said made me think.  

If([Apply Discount]= true, Sum ([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],[Removal Total])-([Discount]),Sum([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],[Removal Total]))
  • The code I posted above worked.  Just the subtraction part needed to be in its own set of parentheses.  
      AlexCertificati
      Qrew Cadet
      The parens around the subtraction value aren't relevant, it's that you needed to do the subtraction outside the arguments for Sum().

In other words your final code
      Sum ([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],[Removal Total])-([Discount])
      works, and this would also work
      Sum ([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],[Removal Total])-[Discount]

I don't know offhand if
      Sum ([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],[Removal Total],-[Discount])
      would work, but I suspect not

Addendum - if for some reason you HAD to do it that way (no idea why you might, just go with it), you'd either put negative values in [Discount] or else create a field (called [Discount to Apply] or something) with a formula [Discount]*(-1) and use that in your sum formula:
      Sum ([SoftScape Total],[HardScape Total],[Aggregate Total],[Removal Total],[Discount to Apply])