Forum Discussion

AmberGoodman
Qrew Cadet
2 years ago

New Forms

Does anyone know a way to display child records directly on the new form builder?  The report link just gives the link to click and I see no way to display the records.  I know I can add it as a report, but that looks very clunky.  Also I build a lot of forms where I allow the user to edit the child records directly on the parent and I don't see that as an option anymore either.  Kind of bummed to see this because I am loving all of the new options but I won't be able to use it if I can't display the child records.  

------------------------------
Amber Goodman

6 Replies

• I have about 10 minutes of experience using the new form. I was basically trying to learn it during the Empower demo.

As far as I know you embed a report on the form. Yes, they know it is clunky and basically an answer to chat questions I put in that is the main area of Forms that is still a work in progress.

So, there is no grid at that function on the form. But I did observe that, you can push the full report button and then you end up in a regular report. Also, currently, the height of the embedded report is awkward to control. When I tried it, there was a scroll bar which I personally detest. When I set the pixel height 9999 to avoid the scrollbar then it left a bunch of empty space below the report. 

My own personal theory  as to why Grid Edit  is missing is that they are also hard at work to have in-line editing on table reports. They have been talking about this for many years and at Empower the product manager said that had now moved to the top of the list now that new table report performance issues were largely solved.

So, in line editing means that you would be able to edit records on a table report in essentially view mode without clicking, any kind of grid edit button.

So my guess is rather than building let's call it old grid edit into new embedded tables on forms, they are going to use in line editing instead. Which doesn't quite exist today. 

The date for Empower was set long ago, and I think they were bound and determined to roll out new forms by Empower because they weren't going to say that they were "coming soon".  

Meanwhile, I actually was super impressed by the functionality they did show with all that drag and drop form building and quick ways to add multiple fields and I'm sure they are aware how important embedded reports grid edit, or in line editing are.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • Just adding in my 2cents so that I can follow along but this is where I get SOOOOOOOO frustrated with Quick Base.  I was SO excited about new forms.  Went in and starting building one as they announced it is GA!  And within 2 minutes found a feature not yet developed.  Why can't they ever roll out a fully featured update?  It is beyond frustrating.

Ivan Weiss
  • I misread your issue and now see you added Report.

For those that miss the first selection like I did, Select to add Report and you get the report and not the link.  

Suzy Kania

AmberGoodman
      Qrew Cadet

Yes you can do this, but it looks awful!  And I want to be able to edit the child records directly on the form.  I am able to do that currently with the old form by clicking the editable button on the form.  So disappointing.

Amber Goodman
      IvanWeiss
      Qrew Captain

So I did since figure this out.  So now are all of those report links useless?  I guess that means in theory I should do a lot of cleaning house on those fields.  I happen to like this idea and the fact that it is like a dashboard but wow this update is fantastic but requires a ton of maintenance lol.  I wish they had a tool or something to converyt.

Ivan Weiss