Forum Discussion

MarkComish
Qrew Assistant Captain
7 years ago

Onboarding new clients ""opportunities"" ""companies"" contacts

When we onboard new clients into our app we start with "Create a new opportunity".  Some of the fields are needed on this table to create a proposal.  While on the "Opportunities" table it will ask for a company and will shoot you out to create a company.  Again just some fields are needs to be filled out at this stage.  Then it needs a contact and it shoots you to a "contacts" table to create a contact.  Again we only needs a few fields filled out at this point.  Then we are back at the "opportunities" table to complete the needed fields and can save.

I want a way to have a new table maybe called "Onboard New Client" where I can have the needed fields from "Contacts", "Companies" and "Opportunities" on one page when onboarding a new client.  Once those fields are complete you hit save and it saves the data entered in the new table to the three mentioned tables all at once.

Is there a good way to do this?  I am open to any ideas.

10 Replies

• Two thoughts

1. Have in the advanced properties tab for the payment record, which in this case is opportunities, it is always good practice to check the checkbox �Save parent record automatically when a child record is created�. That way at least when the user goes to add child it will automatically save the carriage.

2. But the bigger tip is to simply include an embedded report on the opportunities record of the children and the user can edit (create) those records directly while creating the parent record before having saved the Parent record. Be sure to make the embedded report editable in form properties. That means that when you edit the parent the embedded child report table a table goes into Grid edit mode.
      MarkComish
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      I am pretty new to QuickBase so I am not quite following your response.  Do I need to create a new table that is the child to "Companies" "Contacts" and "Opportunities" and on the form for that new table have the fields I need to populate each parent table when saved?  Hope I am making sense?  Here are the fields I need populated in each Parent table...

Companies Table
      1. Company Name
      2. Account Type
      3. Phone
      4. Fax
      5. Mailing address

Contacts Table
      1. Salutation
      2. First name
      3. Last Name
      4. Preferred first name
      5. Title
      6. Credentials
      7. Contact type
      8. Direct phone
      9. email

Opportunities Table
      1. Service
      2. Stage
      3. Year
      4. Status
      5. Type
      6. Opportunity Value
      7. # of days per visit
      8. # of visits per year

When I create the fields for the new table do I use the "From another table" as input type?  Sorry for all the questions but I am confused how to do this and need details or if there is a better way to do this.

Thanks in advance!
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      You do not need any new tables.

Presumably you have a relationship where 1 Company has Many Contacts and 1 Company has many Opportunities.

If you really want to have the initial setup all on one form, then you would put the field probably called [Contacts] on you customer form and set the form properties to display the records on the form and further set the form properties to allow them to be editable.  You would make a report of the fields you want to show, and use that on the form for that Report Link field.

Post back if you are still stuck or if you prefer, you can contact me via my website QuickBaseCoach.com for some one one one assistance to get you unstuck.
      MarkComish
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      I know there was at least one other person that wanted something like this so it would be nice to post a solution here.

Can I get step by step?  Do I go into the "Companies Table" settings and create a new form?  So confused as to where I start and how I create this report to just have the fields I detailed.  Plus when saved all the tables be updated.  Plus how this form and or report will allow me to enter new data as many of the fields are drop downs.  

I think if I can get an outline of the steps I could fill in the gaps, hopefully.
  • Here is a novel solution to your original question which employs a new technique I call Three Tables and a Form.

Here are the three tables and the fields I choose for the demo:

Opportunity
      [Date]
      [Source]
      [Assigned To]

Company
      [Company Name]
      [City]
      [State]  

Contact
      [Contact Name]
      [Phone]
      [Email]

There is also a fourth table which has all of these fields. We are never going to save any data in this forth table we are just going to hijack its add record form. Sounds crazy I know but this is Earth in early 2018 and QuickBase technology has yet to evolve to the point where one form can feed multiple tables in the fashion you want.

Here is the application

Three Tables And A Form
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bnffhvwjf

You can fill out one form using this form in the Onboardings table and upon saving you will be redirected to the display of the new Opportunity record which shows the newly created child Company and Contact records.

New Onboardings
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bnffh2xnk?a=nwr

Pastie Database
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bgcwm2m4g?a=dr&rid=619

Notes:

(1) I forgot to bind  bottom Save button on the form so just use the upper button (easy to fix but I am lazy)

(2) This type of form is most appropriate where speed of data entry is the most important factor. If verification, extensive form rules or other factors are present that increase the navigational load you are better off using standard techniques.

(3)  To seamless navigate away from the new record form we have substituted the Save button click handler and eliminated the unload proc that normally warns you that you are navigating away from a partially filled out form.
  • Mark is very new to Quick Base. I have a session booked with Mark this morning to set up a native data entry form for the Parent and then enter the child Record Data in the form in Grid Edit. So one screen and Save.
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      That may be a more appropriate solution for him at this point in time .

But I just wanted to demonstrate that we have reached convergence and nothing is impossible in QuickBase with script.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      I can�t even begin to imagine what goes through your brain in a single day. It must be like 100 hamsters all running around in circles madly coding.
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      This stuff is trivial and it becomes even easier over time. I get a good laugh out of many of the discussions here because if the question is well formed (many are not) they all have ready solutions. The hardest part in coming up with a solution is understanding what is being asked. The solution is almost always obvious to me if I can understand the question.

>I can�t even begin to imagine what goes through your brain in a single day. 

I gotta go now - today I am going to work decoding the Voynich manuscript:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript