Forum Discussion

HadassaPam1
Qrew Member
6 months ago

online payment option

Can someone walk me through how to set up an online payment option.  My preference is to use paypal. 

I have a form the user fills out.  It totals various child records they add as they fill in the parent form.  When they are done I would like them to be able to click "Pay" and it send the "total" and "user name" fields to paypal for payment.  Ideally after they pay I would like paypal to send back to update the record that this was paid.

I am assuming this needs to be a pipeline with a webhook.  While I have built pipelines I am not familiar with how webhooks work.  

Can anyone walk me through this?

------------------------------
Hadassa Pam

8 Replies

• Do you need some kind of formal invoice to go along with it or just payment? The paypal API uses Oauth2.0 which based on other posts and other experience with Pipelines - you won't be able to successfully authenticate because Pipelines can't respond to the redirect URL that is required for Oauth authentication. I looked at Venmo - but the same issue will persist. 

I would suggest looking into a platform like a Quickbooks or another invoicing type processor. In that sense - you can integrate Quickbase to send the information from your form as an Invoice - and then those platforms typically have their own payment processors that could process the payment and you could sync back to Quickbase. 

Chayce Duncan
      HadassaPam1
      Qrew Member

Just payment is fine...a formal invoice is not needed.  I just need to be able to pass off to paypal the amount they owe.

Hadassa Pam
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

You'll need to at least handle the integration piece outside of Quickbase then in terms of actually interacting with Paypal. Pipelines can't handle Oauth authentication, so if you go that route you'd need to setup your own custom integration outside of Quickbase entirely to actually handle the Paypal transaction. Keep in mind that many applications such as Paypal given the nature of their platform will require you to register your application/integration for Production use

The only things Pipelines could do is actually send out the request to your server with the necessary information for your script to process. Pipelines might also be able to be the listener for webhooks coming from Paypal so you could process the payment recording. 

Chayce Duncan
      JamesCalloway
      Qrew Member

OAuth isn't always a problem in Pipelines. We're currently connecting via OAuth to an external service, and also did so with a previous external service. The implementations of OAuth differed between the two exernal services, so "results may vary".

In our current usage, the redirect URL was necessary only for the initial set up and whenever we changed authorizations, which for us hasn't happened often, so we did that manually to harvest the initial token and refresh token. From there, it was easy to automate it in Pipelines going forward. The previous external service did not require the redirect URL at all.

James Calloway
        HadassaPam1
        Qrew Member

James,

Are you connecting to Paypal?  I am really not familiar at all with how to set up webhooks.  Can you walk me through the steps?

Hadassa Pam