Forum Discussion

JenBlack
Qrew Member
9 months ago
Solved

Percentages are Sums instead of Averages on the Total and Averages Rows

Currently percentages are sums instead of averages on the "Total and Averages Row" for my table reports. Having an average of my percentages but a total of my other numeric data is what I am looking for in this line. Is there a way for %s to be averaged on that final row instead of totaled? Screenshot for reference. 

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
Jen Black
  • It is a field property.  But simply clicking the field to show averages instead of totals may not result in an average which is mathematically correct.

You will get an average of the averages but that does not mean it's a proper weighted average of the total. It could literally an average of each line item but one line items could be for 1 million widgets and the other item the other line item could be for 1 widget and they will be treated equally.  

There are more advanced features of summary reports which may allow a proper calculation 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

2 Replies

• It is a field property.  But simply clicking the field to show averages instead of totals may not result in an average which is mathematically correct.

You will get an average of the averages but that does not mean it's a proper weighted average of the total. It could literally an average of each line item but one line items could be for 1 million widgets and the other item the other line item could be for 1 widget and they will be treated equally.  

There are more advanced features of summary reports which may allow a proper calculation 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JenBlack
      Qrew Member

Thank you! I had completely glanced over that option so many times. 

And yes, thank you for clarifying. I have a separate field on a different table calculating the more accurate averages based on the volume of child records within each percentage. Appreciate the quick response! 

Jen Black