Forum Discussion

QuickBaseAdmi10
Qrew Member
3 months ago

Pipelines | search records | make request api

Hello,

I have a table called Access that is populated via the access admin console. I am utilizing 4 fields from this table, [User ID] and [App ID] (used for data within the URL API_GetUserRole) and [Role ID] and [Role Name] (which is populated after the api runs). 
My pipeline that is doing this works (thanks to help from @SamuelTrachy with the jinja2), but is not optimized well.. Currently the pipeline is:
A. Search Records on the Access table
      for each A record found...
           B. Make Request (https://.....?a=API_GetUserRole.....)
           C. Update record A with role name and role id

As mentioned above, this works, however, I am just looking to see if there is a more efficient way to run this.

ps. I am confident with pipeline things, but am a rookie with API/ make request/ json/xml things. So I may need things dumbed down a bit when speaking about these things.

Thank you

------------------------------
QuickBase Administrator2

3 Replies

• I do something similar with the realm info but instead of having it run off the access table - I have a series of Pipelines that search for production applications and run API_UserRoles which grabs all the users for a specific app and returns all user/role combinations. I then store that in a different table altogether to better track and report on users that may have multiple roles in the same app. 

Chayce Duncan
      QuickBaseAdmi10
      Qrew Member

Nice! If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to take screenshots of that pipeline and their respective steps so I can hopefully recreate it?
      I would make it easier and ask for the YAML, but I haven't had success with reading that language and recreating what it says quite yet - it's a bit hard to follow

QuickBase Administrator2
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

See attached. For my own process it ends up being (2) pipelines - the first is the loop that processes each app - and it send the JSON response to Pipeline (2) where it actually processes and loads the data. It's not the most clear and one day I may optimize it but you will notice that the actual user pipeline has 2 paths. Path one is for users that only have 1 role in the app - path two is for users that have multiple. In the majority event where people have only one role I put them into a bulk import to load together. For the other path where they have multiple roles I carve them out and do a jinja loop to import them right then given that the JSON format is different when QB passes it along. It wasn't ideal - but it was a reaction to an audit request and needed the most efficient way that needs to be revisited one day. 

Chayce Duncan