Forum Discussion

ErikaD
Qrew Member
9 years ago

Populate ultiple choice field based upon a form rule

I am trying to have a field that is multiple choice populate based upon a form rule from another field. It doesn't seem to be working but I'm not sure if it's because the field is multiple choice or something else. Any ideas?

Screenshot now attached. The field [Offer Phase Evaluator] is a formula text field and the field [Offer Phase] is a multiple choice field. Unfortunately, I have to keep [Offer Phase] as a multiple choice field because I need a report to be sorted and grouped based upon the order of the choices.

8 Replies

• Can you state your form rule?  Its hard to guess without some clues.  You can also edit your original question and add a screen shot of the rule.
  • Did you post a JPEG screen shot?  We can't link through to a file path on a server.
  • I did. I edited the original question posted and attached the jpeg.
  • Try unchecking that bottom checkbox in the form rule. Let us know if that fixes the problem.
  • Unfortunately I tried that and it didn't work. It "sort of" works in that you can edit the record and then it will change but it doesn't change on it's own without editing the record.
  • Ok, so now I understand. You are not understanding what a Dynamic form rule does. It only kicks in when an individual record is in edit mode. It does not affect anything when the record is not being edited.

If you need a field to change based in the value of other fields when the record is not being edited on a Form, then you need to use a formula field. If the reason that you are not using a formula field is that you need to control the sort, you will need to fall back on results which are numbered. For example,
    1.Open
    2. in Process
    3. Complete
      HeatherBryant2
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Hi Mark - do you know if there is a new work-around for this with Quick Base Actions?
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Heather, I think that because this was a long thread, that you should post a new question with your own use case.  I can't tell from your post above what "this" refers to.  But I will say that Actions only fire after the record is saved so they will not affect what the user sees on the form during data entry and also they will not run quite quick enough for the user to see when they save the record as the record will be displayed and then the Action will run sort of a split second later.