Forum Discussion

LeslieWilson2
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Pulling data from linked table - Conditional Drop Down, Formula, or another solution?

Question/Scenario: When creating/updating Client record How do I implement a solution that will allow me to:

After Selecting, Medical Code = Code 1
1)How do I iget the code Description to default?

2) How do I get the Doctor field to allow selection from Multiple Choice List defined in Medical Code Table associated with the specified medical code

3) How do I get the State field to allow selection from Multiple Choice List defined in Medical Code Table associated with the specified medical code

Table Structure:

Table: Client

Fields = Client Name, Medical Code, Code Description, Doctor, State

Table: Medical Code

Medical Code (TX)

Code Description (TX)

Doctor (Multiple Choice)

State (Multiple Choice)

Code 1

Code Description for Code 1

Doctor 1

Doctor 2

Doctor 3

Doctor 4

GA

VA

SC

TX

Code 2

Code Description for Code 2

Doctor 1

Doctor 7

Doctor 3

Doctor 9

SC

TX

Code 3

Code Description for Code 3

Doctor 1

Doctor 3

Doctor 9

GA

TX

MA

Code 4

Code Description for Code 4

Code 5

Code Description for Code 5

------------------------------
Leslie Wilson

1 Reply

• After Selecting, Medical Code = Code 1
    1)How do I get the code Description to default?

You we will have a table of medical codes and their descriptions. When the user selects a medical code the description will come down as a look up field on the relationship. 

2) How do I get the Doctor field to allow selection from Multiple Choice List defined in Medical Code Table associated with the specified medical code

You will need to have a master table of doctors. However that will be not enough because one doctor can be used for many medical codes but on the other hand one medical code can be performed by many doctors. Therefore you will need a middle table or a joint table perhaps called Dr. Medical Code Assignments.

One Doctor will have many Dr. Medical Code Assignments.
    One Medical Code will have many Dr. Medical Code Assignments.

When entering a client record you will be selecting a Dr. Medical Code Assignment record as the parent.  Will be a conditional drop-down based on the previously selected medical code. 

3) How do I get the State field to allow selection from Multiple Choice List defined in Medical Code Table associated with the specified medical code.

Assuming that the doctors are a real person and not a doctor's office, presumably the doctor can only live in one state. So I haven't chosen the doctor from the the Dr. Medical Code Assignments, you can have a look up field to bring down that doctor's state. 

Let me know if you get stuck and we might be able to solve it in this forum or it might need a little bit of one-on-one consulting time to get this all sorted out.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com