Forum Discussion

PaulGrim1
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Quick Base user names loading into Power Query as codes

I've successfully connected Power BI to my Quick Base app, but when I retrieve the data there are two fields that show the username in Quick Base but load into Power Query as codes.  This is happening in the "Last Modified By" and "Record Owner" fields.  So instead of "John Doe" (which is what I see in the Quick Base app) I might see "32598325.fb7x".  Is there any way to pull the actual user name into Power Query, or is this some kind of intentional restriction on the Quick Base side?  Here is an example:

------------------------------
Paul

4 Replies

DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Paul,

I am not sure how the connector translates those User fields.   That is a strange response.   

Temporarily make a Formula User field and set it equal to [Record Owner]
    See if that will give you the correct data through the connector.

If that fails, I have another solution for you.  We built a tool called Paasporter that extracts your Quick Base data and will index it into a SQL Compliant DB.  Now you do not need the connector.  You use that DB as your data source and can join it across the other data sources you are using to build your visualizations.

Happy to demo it for so you can see the utility of SQL for your complex reporting.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
      PaulGrim1
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Don,

Thanks for the offer to help.  I tried your suggestion but it just pulls the same code into Power BI.  I will have to look at it again tomorrow to see if I can somehow convert it to a textual user name. I'm new to QB so still exploring its capabilities and limitations.

Paul
        TomMusto
        Qrew Cadet
        The codes you're seeing are what QuickBase actually uses behind the scenes to exactly identify a user. I would try using a Formula - Text field with the following formula: UserToName([Record Owner]). This should return a text string containing the user's name in the format "FirstName LastName".

-Tom