Forum Discussion

MichelleCraig
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Report Link vs Embedded Table

Probably easy for you, what is the difference between a "Report Link" and an "Embedded Table" it feels like they are the same thing, and I am having issues creating a "Report Link" that actually works. Probably making this harder than I should, but figured maybe you can point me in the correct direction.

------------------------------
Michelle Craig

6 Replies

• A Report Link is a field type where you configure the left and right panels on the field Properties and it creates a link to a set of records from another table.

Then typically, that field will be put on a form and have the Form Properties set to display those records on the form as an embedded table.  That Embedded table can optionally be pointed to a particular report to add additions filters if desired (say an embedded report of "Active" contacts on a client record), and the report can control the columns and the sort and in fact can be any report type including summary reports and charts.  But typically when someone says an embedded table they mean a Report Link field put on the form and the form is set to display those records in a regular vanilla table report which just lists the records.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MichelleCraig
      Qrew Member

Thank you Mark. I am trying to figure out how to get a link between two tables Market Planning and Projects, the issue is that when trying to create that relationship the reference field that lines up to the key field is not avail on the drop down. I can't seem to wrap my head around how to get this to work...if those that created the tables labeled like information the same, that would probably make life easier...anyway thanks as always for being awesome

Michelle Craig
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

Well, keep in mind that if you were just looking for a Report Link field, you do not need to have a relationship. The report link field simply matches a field on a record in a particular table ..... think of it as a particular value in a particular field while looking at a form with that same value in any other field in any other table, or for that matter any other application.

As for the problem where different apps or different tables use different field names for the same piece of information like a project number, for example, well all you can really do is run some reports with the data and figure out which field names correspond with each other. 

Legacy apps, get created over the years with different developers and those inconsistencies happen.  

Who knows, maybe it takes someone like you to tackle that issue in your organization.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com