Forum Discussion

PeteLetkeman
Qrew Member
2 years ago

RESTFul SSO Tutorial?

How possible is it to implement SSO from Swagger UI ?

I only need to implement these two endpoints:

• /api/v1/app/user/data
  • /api/v1/session/login
I've implemented this in two different NoCode/LowCode environments, however, I suspect that Quickbase is different and while I am certified in Quickbase I have not done that much in Quickbase.
Are there any guides or tutorials which you can point me to on how I can implement custom SSO in Quickbase?

------------------------------
Pete Letkeman

8 Replies

• It seems you may be confusing another company's product API with Quickbase.  The link you provided is for another API for a different platform.

If you are using the newer Quickbase JSON API, the endpoint I have tested is the temporary token endpoint.

You can read more about this here:
    https://developer.quickbase.com/operation/getTempTokenDBID

Joel Hickok
      PeteLetkeman
      Qrew Member

Please let me rephrase.

I want to allow people who are authenticated via a third-party KeyStone account using Single Sign On (SSO) access to the Quickbase application. Maybe this is SAML?

Any tutorials/guides on how this can be done?

Pete Letkeman
        JoelHickok
        Qrew Cadet
        This is not a common flow, and not that easy to implement.

You would need middleware that sat in-between your previously authenticated user-base and Quickbase.  For example, you could have a custom app that was assigned a Quickbase user token, and that app would access Quickbase using that token once it confirmed that the user was indeed authenticated using KeyStone.  Or, similarly, you could have a proxy app that proxied requests to Quickbase if they were confirmed to be authenticated using your other platform.

Quickbase is not really designed to make this kind of thing easy at all.  Unless you broker it all yourself using adequate middleware.  You may have to spend some more time investigating how authentication and Quickbase are setup to make this work, and I am guessing you will have to write some custom code.

Joel Hickok
    DwightMunson1
    Qrew Assistant Captain

Sounds like you're just trying to set up SSO, which can be done with SAML Authentication in the admin console. 
    Should be pretty easy depending on the provider. We're using Okta and will be implementing it sometime in the new year. 

SAML authentication overview – Quickbase Help

Dwight Munson
      JoelHickok
      Qrew Cadet
      Based on the original question, the post did not suggest that the goal was SAML Authentication.  Perhaps the goal is indeed SAML Authentication, as that would be great for the original poster, since this is quite easy and effective to setup.

However, if the Quickbase instance is secured already with one SAML provider, and a separate authentication workflow is desired, then this will not work.  And the API endpoints provided previously have nothing to do with SAML and are more similar to OAuth.
        PeteLetkeman
        Qrew Member

Please let me clarify.

I have X number of users previously set up on a system that has KeyStone Restful endpoints.

I want to be able to have a KeyStone user log into/authenticate using the KeyStone Restful endpoints to access the Quickbase site.

There will be zero users setup in Quickbase using Quickbase native user management tools/interface.

After the users are logged into the system, Quickbase will be used to determine what the authenticated users can access/see.

Pete Letkeman