Forum Discussion

GeoffreyHarmuth
Qrew Captain
6 years ago

Save and continue to edit record in another form

Is it possible to create a button that saves a record, then opens up the same record in another form in edit mode?

added caveat:The record can only be saved if the required fields have been completed.

10 Replies

• I need a button for both scenarios, but the problem child is when i am creating a new record
  • That would take a script solution, I believe as the Record ID# is not known until the record is saved, so you can't do a "&NextURL=" type follow on API as you don't know which Record ID to show in edit mode.
  • Thought as much.  if the record is already saved, how would I create the button to open the record in a different form in edit mode?
    ChadBrandmire
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    I'd recommend getting the Magic Buttons App from the exchange. You'll find some answers in there
  • I've used Magic buttons extensively - But i cant find a button to invoke the editing of a record using a specific form ID
  •  You can specify the form ID to edit a record, but you need to know which Record ID to edit.

URLRoot() & "db/" & dbid() & "?a=er&rid=" & [Record ID#] & "&dfid=10"

but when you save it would display the record in the default form ID, so you would need to use 

var text EDIT = URLRoot() & "db/" & dbid() & "?a=er&rid=" & [Record ID#] & "&dfid=10";
    var text Display = URLRoot() & "db/" & dbid() & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Record ID#] & "&dfid=10";

$Edit
    & "&NextURL=" & URLEncode ($Display)

• Ok, so the dfid is then the form id.  I think I can make this work - Thanks Mark, ill update you once i got it.